Saturday, February 17, 2007

Brussels

This is from today. I only just got back from my day trip to Brussels, and am staying up to blog so that I don't have it hanging over my head as something I need to get around to...I have enough things like that already. The city is on a hill, and we started our walking tour from the upper end of it. This is what we saw as we came around the corner. It's just so beautiful.

Here is the Belgian Royal Palace. Allot smaller than Buckingham, but also used more for an actual home for the Royal family. I especially enjoyed the open gardens in the front.
Most of the streets in the lower parts of the city are small like this. While walking down this road, we had to stand next to the walls at times, and do our best not to get hit by cars coming through. Very cute little brick streets...with lots and lots of bikes like the one shown above.
Belgian waffle stands line the streets. This was the first one that I saw, and the only one based out of a van. I almost stopped here, but decided to wait until I'd eaten something real, to have these desert-like waffles.
These pictures are from the streets upon streets of restaurants...
Most had pretty much the same thing to offer, and were incredibly expensive.
I stopped into one with a couple of the other girls. The man decided to be competitive with the restaurants all around him selling the same thing, and offered us a free drink for coming into his place. The other girls ended up paying for three course meals. I bought a salad, but ended up getting my drink (wine), some bread, and my desert (on accident), for free. It ended up being allot less expensive than what they had paid for, and I had a really great meal.
These are just some pictures of the really cool old buildings that are all around Brussels.
This was a hotel!

Crazy expensive restaurants and pubs.
This is in the marketplace in the center of town.
Later in the afternoon, we decided to treat ourselves to some Belgian chocolates...the last one of which is sitting in front of me as I blog, I'm trying to be good and not eat it, but it looks so tasty.
The best part though, I'd have to say, would be the Belgian waffles that we got at this little sidewalk stand. The choices are many as you can see... with anything from a plane waffle, to toppings with strawberries, bananas, chocolate, nutella, cool whip, syrup, powdered sugar, and a whole lot more. For myself though, I got a waffle dripping in chocolate, and with lots of whip cream on top. Talk about a fast way to get fat.

In short, the food was amazing, the city was beautiful, and I am really glad I went. I am also incredibly tired right now, it's two in the morning and I'm going to try to get some sleep...maybe sleep in tomorrow (what a thought!). I'll blog again when next I have something of interest to show you. Until then...Good-night.

No comments: